
Wednesday was Farmers Market day in my town and I just had to buy another jar of home-canned pickled beets. I bought one jar last week and nearly made myself sick eating them. They were so good. Other than one tiny taste my spouse had, I ate them all. I'm certainly not a pickled beet expert, but I know what I like. To meet my requirements, the pickled beets should taste sweet but not sickening sweet - tart, but not pucker-producing - and they must taste good cold. I prefer cold pickled beets with no spices.
My dear mother-in-law used to prepare the very best pickled beets. When she learned how much I loved them, she began to give me a jar every Christmas and birthday. They were all mine and I didn't have to share since my spouse was not that fond of beets. His mom always gave him a nice box of Esther Price dark chocolates for Christmas and she gave me a jar of home canned beets. I always thought I was the one who had received the better gift.
No one could make pickled beets like my mother-in-law, but the Amish woman at the Farmers Market surely came close. Today I told her about my mother-in-law and how good her beets were. I also suggested to the woman her beets were a very close second to Mom's. She smiled, thanked me, and assured that she'd canned the beets herself.
I'll try to pace myself this week and ration my beets. I have a whole week to wait for the next Farmers Market.

About the Author

0 komentar: